Quite simply it is a day without being digital. I plan to have one analogue day every month – in fact, the last Sunday of every month. I hope some of you will join me.
The rules of Analogue Day:
- No email
- No blogging
- No blog reading
- No aimlessly surfing the web
- No checking out social network sites
- No typing (unless you own a manual typewriter!)
- No online shopping
- No Skyping
- No messaging
- In fact, no computer at all
- That includes consoles – no computer games at all!
- No TV
- No Kindles or e-readers – read an actual book instead!
- Spend the day outside with someone you love
- Go for a picnic
- Read a book (NOT on an e-reader!)
- Play board games or, if you don’t have any, old party games (charades is always a good one!)
- Go for a long walk or a bike ride – in the park, the woods, on the beach, or even just in your neighbourhood
- Do a scavenger hunt
- Get your friends to join you in the park for a game of footie or baseball or whatever game you fancy
- Visit an art gallery, museum or library
- Go to the gym or go swimming
- Visit friends or family
- Write a letter (getting a pen-pal is a great idea – I heartily recommend it!)*
- Do some crafts
- Learn something new / take a class (without using a computer!)
- Cook all your meals from scratch / try out a new recipe
- Have a BBQ
- Do some gardening – get an allotment and grow your own vegetables
- Volunteer – donate your newly spare time to charity and do some good for others
- Have a “pamper day” with a massage, facial, manicure and pedicure (even if you do them all yourself!)
- Run yourself a hot bubble bath, light some scented candles, and r-e-l-a-x
- HAVE FUN!
* If you’d like to be MY penpal, let me know – you can email me your address and I would gladly exchange letters with you!
Exceptions to the rules:
- You may take photographs and shoot video footage of your analogue days (you just can’t send them to a social network site or transfer them to your computer till the next day!)
- You may listen to music, but NO HEADPHONES (because dancing around like crazy is great entertainment)
- You may use/answer the telephone (but no texting, no phone games, and absolutely no internet access – leave it for emergencies only if possible)
There are almost limitless opportunities to have fun, try something new, and generally just spend time with the people you love, or even get some well deserved “me time” – the only stipulation is you must stay away from the computer and the TV.
So please do join me, whether it’s the last Sunday of each month or any other day that is more convenient for you. If you feel up to it, try for an analogue day every week (I think I might work up to that and maybe do it next year…), but please do join me. But not on the internet. Because I won’t be online. I’ll be off our somewhere doing something fun and/or constructive with my time. And so should you!