Hello again – a move, a new baby, and another move!

Well hello there! It’s been a while, hasn’t it?

Things have been pretty hectic but are promising to settle down, at least a little. There’s been lots of upheaval and some big changes made, but we’ve made it in the end.

First off was move number 1. Tadpole and I moved in with my Mam and Step-Dad till Hubby’s transfer began, while Hubby headed back to Aberdeen to pack up our flat all alone, as we’d managed to sell it very quickly. We’d found a house we loved, our offer had been accepted and we were all set to move in ASAP. Then a catalogue of disasters meant the house purchase fell through, effectively leaving us homeless and stuck at my parents’ place. They were fabulous throughout, but it was tough, as Hubby’s transfer started and there were the three of us plus Button Bump sharing one small bedroom – not ideal!

1st day at school
Tadpole’s first day at his new school
He loves it!

Meanwhile, Tadpole settled into his new school very quickly and we began the arduous task of trying to find somewhere else to live. All this stress and I was due to give birth within a couple of weeks!

We eventually found a nice little flat to rent and got the ball rolling – we would move in on  Friday 11th October, cutting it fine for my due date of 19th October, but at least we had somewhere sorted and the stress was lightened.

Then at 9.20pm on Wednesday 9th October, I went into labour. And it was very definitely labour – for the first half hour, the contractions were 10 minutes apart, then they switched to 7  minutes apart for another hour, then to 5 minutes apart. Hubby didn’t know any of this as he’d gone to bed early (knackered after work and everything that had been going on!) about 10 minutes after the contractions started (I didn’t tell him, deciding to let him have some rest!).

Tadpole and Bump
Tadpole hugging my bump a few days before I gave birth!
Around midnight – in labour
Bump at 38 weeks and 5 days gestation

By the time it was midnight, the contractions were still 5 minutes apart, but manageable – I was just breathing through them – and I decided to have a lie down and perhaps try to doze, so I went up to bed. Hubby woke and asked if I was OK, so I told him we’d probably have to go to hospital in the early hours and he should rest while he could. Of course, after hearing that, he couldn’t sleep! An hour later, I had three contractions in an 8-minute period and, on the advice of my specialist, who knew I wanted a natural birth after my emergency c-section last time, decided it was time to head into the hospital. We left the house at 1.15am on 10th October.

By the time we reached the hospital, the contractions were 2-2.5 minutes apart and lasting just over 1 1/2 minutes. They began to monitor Button and all seemed well, till they realised there had been a change in position. A quick scan revealed Button was now lying transverse and even when they tried to turn the baby, it just wasn’t happening. I had to have a c-section after all.

There was no sense of urgency and everything was explained to me – the staff were marvellous at ever step. I was given gas and air till I could be prepped for surgery and the staff expressed admiration at how well I was breathing through my increasingly intense contractions, which now came thick and fast. I’d completely forgotten about the TENS machine I’d hired and which was still sitting in my bag!

I walked through to the theatre and was given my epidural while Hubby got into his scrubs to join me – we were about to meet our baby at last!

Joshua Yul (aka Button)
Born 10/10/13
Weighing 8lbs 15oz

At 5.58am, our son was born, weighing a whopping 8lbs 15oz. We named him Joshua Yul. We had immediate skin-to-skin contact and very shortly afterwards we were able to establish breastfeeding.

I was wheeled to a private room for recovery before we went to the ward. At every shift change, the new staff came and introduced themselves. They were all marvellous.

Meanwhile, Hubby got in touch with the letting agent and he was able to get into the new flat a day early to get things ready for us – the staff there were amazing too!

After 2 days in hospital, Button and I were able to come home with Hubby and Tadpole to our new home.

Our wee Button has quickly got into a routine of feeding, pooping and sleeping, all of which we could get gold medal for if they were Olympic sports. Daddy is devoted and Big Brother is besotted. I’m recovering well from my surgery and love having two gorgeous boys to cuddle!

Xan and Josh
Tadpole and Button
Both my beautiful boys together
16.10.13 - Xan and Josh 3
My gorgeous lads
Besotted brothers
10.10.13 - Josh - 1 hr old
Button at about an hour old
Check out those cute wrinkles!

5 thoughts on “Hello again – a move, a new baby, and another move!

Got something to say?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s