We’ve all been there. It’s mid afternoon, you’re flagging a little and you just feel like reaching for a chocolate bar for the sugar boost to get you through till home time. We all know the rush will fade, leaving us feeling even lower than before, and we also know that the chocolate addiction will do our hips no favours in the long run, but we do it anyway, because even though we know better, sometimes we don’t want a piece of fruit. Sometimes we want something that tastes like a treat.
Well, here’s the answer – energy bites!
They’re no-bake and they’re full of good stuff that will give us an energy boost without the crashing low that comes from a quick-fix sugar rush. They’re quick and easy to make, and best of all, you can tailor them to your own tastes. The recipe I give below isn’t exactly a recipe, more a “pick ‘n’ mix” of ingredients that work really well.
- Nut butter (peanut butter / almond butter / cashew butter)
- Honey or maple syrup
Also choose several from:
- Seeds (flax / pumpkin / sunflower etc)
- Dried fruit (raisins / sultanas / cranberries / apricots / dates / cherries / figs etc)
- Chopped nuts (pistachios / macadamia / almonds / cashews etc)
- Oats / dessicated coconut
Roll them in:
- Rolled oats
- Dessicated coconut
- Flaked almonds / chopped nuts
- Sesame/flax seeds
- Dump your dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Squeeze in a little honey or maple syrup (just a little – you don’t want it too sweet!).
- Drop in some nut butter.
- Mix it all together adding either more dry ingredients (if too sticky) or more nut butter (if too dry) till everything comes together nicely.
- With damp hands, grab small handfuls of the mixture and squeeze/roll into balls.
- Roll the balls in rolled oats, dessicated coconut, chopped or flaked nuts, or small seeds.
- Pop them in an air-tight container and keep in the fridge to firm up a little.
And that’s it. It takes about 10 minutes to make them and stick them in the fridge to enjoy whenever you need a little pick-me-up. And you can feel virtuous because they’re all natural and packed with things that are good for you. And because you can tailor them to your own personal taste, they’ll always taste great. You can even get the kids in to help – they LOVE getting their hands sticky and they can have a great time choosing what they want to go into their own energy bites, and then actually making them for themselves.
And if you really feel you must have chocolate, you can always add a handful of chocolate chips to the mix. Nobody’s going to complain!