I’m still having some morning sickness trouble with cooking smells, but sometimes you just get sick of eating raw food and you have to cook something. On this occasion, the “something” was cheesy fish pie, and here’s how I made it…
Cheesy fish pie
- 350g fish (I used a mixture of haddock, smoked haddock and salmon)
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 300mls milk
- 100g cheese (I used mature cheddar)
- Approx 100g potato (thinly sliced – no thicker than 1/2 cm)
- 5 – 10g breadcrumbs
- pinch dried mixed herbs
- Melt the butter in a pan, then stir in the flour.
- Gradually stir in the milk and continue to stir on the heat till it thickens.
- Add 75g of the cheese and stir through till melted
- Place the chunks of fish in an oven-proof dish and poor 3/4s of the cheese sauce over the fish, stirring to ensure all pieces are coated.
- Place the slices of potato over the top of the sauce-coated fish.
- Spread the remaining cheese sauce over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs on top, then finish with a pinch of herbs sprinkled on top of that.
- Pop in the oven at 200C for 25 – 30 mins, till the fish is cooked and the top of the pie is golden.
Serve with some baby new potatoes and whatever veg you fancy (I had mine with carrots, peas, sweetcorn and spinach). I know it doesn’t look like much on the plate, but it tasted great! I’ll certainly be making this again.